What would you say to her?




These photos are from the same day in 2016. Why does it feel like 100 years ago? Ruby was two weeks old & Elliott was two years old. We had just moved into this home two weeks before Ruby was born after a very tumultuous experience selling our home in Hattiesburg & purchasing a home here in Thibodaux. Needless to say: Things don't always go to plan, right?

I majorly struggled with anxiety throughout my pregnancy. Caring for a "spirited" toddler through a high risk pregnancy brought me to the brink of insanity more times than I can count. As one may expect, things did not get easier once baby came home. My experience was very memorable.

What would you say to her, if you could go back, as the mother you are now? Seeing these photos has the words bubbling up...

1. Your children are beautiful. They love you so much. There is no one on Earth that can replace you.

2. It's going to be different this time. As much as you know that, you don't know yet how much it will change you. Amazingly, the challenges you've been through are what save you from darkness. That makes it all worth it.

3. I weep for you because I know this has not been easy. I'm grieving for the pregnancy you wish you'd had & the first weeks home with a new baby that you wanted. It was not as planned. This is pretty much your new life mantra. It's okay. Your'e not other moms & your babies aren't other people's babies. Just tattoo that on your brain, mama.

4. You're not crazy. I know you feel crazy. I have the privilege of speaking to so many new mamas & so often I am able to say: Hey, this is so hard. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. (That connection gives me life.) This feeling is normal! Your hormones are completely upside-down. You're sweaty, covered in milk and probably tears & you feel crazy. You're not crazy. This is normal. You are a good mom.

5. Don't blink. Just remember everything. Every smile. Every embrace. Every first. Those moments of losing it will fade. Yes, I know, this is SO exhausting. I can't believe I survived it. You are so incredible. Seriously.

6. Thank you. You did some things for us that may seem suprising, but you knew what you needed to get through this. Asking for help was crucial for you. I'm so proud of you. You did it.

7. Be gentle with yourself. You will mess up. They may not post it on Instagram but they do too. It's okay. You're doing your best today.

So, what would you say to her?

XOXO
Love,
 Kelly
South Coast Baby Company
708 W 3rd St
Thibodaux LA

www.southcoastbabycompany.com

Comments

Popular Posts